I love food and I love to eat. So cutting out things like dairy, sugar, bread and red meat, would have completely sucked IF I didn’t find so many great things to replace it. I do miss cheese. And I could eat my way through Wisconsin easily and happily. But I’m also to the age where I’m starting to really have to watch what I put in my body not just for weight sake but for health sake. I’ve always had a stellar metabolism until the 4 started to show up at the front end of my age. Diets don’t work. But eating healthy does.
I didn’t think I could possibly like this recipe without all the Monterrey jack you are supposed to add. But I did. And it was amazing. Look for more healthy eating, but not quite so painful, recipes to come.
I’ll rate them on our Betty “nom bomb” system. The more “nom bombs” the better because the more you get to experience a taste explosion. Five is tops!
White Chicken Chili Recipe:
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, with liquids from beans
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilis, with liquids from chilis
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Add chicken to a 4-quart, heavy bottomed Dutch oven or stockpot. Add chicken stock and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Shred chicken with two forks and then add back to the liquid.
- Add garlic and onion to stockpot, white beans, green chilis, dried oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and chopped fresh oregano. Stir until well-combined. Taste for flavor and adjust to your preference.
- Simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.